Saturday, July 5, 2014

Tree Rose



Tree roses are also known as standard roses. They are cultivated by grafting a rose on a trunk to produce a tall plant that has long stems and colorful flowers. Standard roses combine the best elements of a strong rootstock, a tall stem, and the desired flower. Standard roses are used in the landscape to create height.


Just Joey Tree Rose


Full-size standard roses grow 4 to 6 feet while varieties grow 12 inches tall. Dwarf standard roses share the tree-like shape, the long stems, and the rich flower color, just in a smaller size.

I have planted several standard roses a few years ago and they are still in very good shape. I give them a good pruning every spring and once again middle of summer; severe pruning in spring must be done in order to have a compact crown. Deadheading must be done as soon as the flowers fade. 


Red Ingrid Bergman Tree Rose


Some of my favorite tree rose I have in my garden are the Just Joey and the red Ingrid Bergman which I have several. Although both roses does not have fragrance, their bloom size and form are spectacular.

3 comments:

  1. I like the Just Joey roses, it is beautiful with those huge flowers although it does not have smell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Just Joey rose is marvelous, the flowers are so huge, like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are good looking roses.

    ReplyDelete