Thursday, May 10, 2012

Peony

Peonies do not thrive very well in the Southern California climate. There are three classifications of Peony, Herbaceus, Tree and Intersectional otherwise known as Itoh Peony.

I bought a Harbaceus Peony at Armstrong Garden Center almost 8 years ago but it has not yet produced a flower until this year. It dies back every winter but grows back back year after year in early spring but has not produced any flower. It only has one eye when I planted it 8 years ago and it became bigger and healthier every year it grows back.

I still don't know what the color at this time as it is still a bud as of now.

Last February I bought one at Mt. Fuji Garden Centers. This one is already potted and a few stem are growing when I bought it. It bloomed around April and continues to have flowers as of early May. The flower is semi-double and butter-yellow in color.
 


 
Peony needs the deep cold of winter for it to bloom but they do sometime thrive in milder climates

4 comments:

  1. I have planted several Peonies in Los Angeles but have not been successful. They just don't come back after they die down in winter. Some grew back in spring but they would eventually die after several years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need the cold of winter to have your peony bloom. Just take good care of it and it will reward you with endless blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you are right, I have a garden in the San Gabriel area and have planted several peonies I bought from an online nursery and they never bloomed. They come back year after year during spring but not one flower.

      Delete
  3. That is an Itoh type of peony which they bloom without the chill of winter. I have the same peony which I bought from Armstrong Gardens 2 years ago. The plant is very healthy and blooms a lot every spring.

    ReplyDelete